Monday, May 26, 2008

A Trek to Remember

Last weekend, I was blessed to be given the opportunity to participate in an outreach program in Banaue. Since I had free time last weekend, I decided to join "A Trek to Remember" organized by K.I.D.S. Foundation headed by Diether "the hunk" Ocampo . What a better way to enjoy free time than to share it with our less fortunate (in terms of material wealth) brothers and sisters. right? While helping others nourishes our hearts, this should not be our motivation. We do this because it's the right thing to do. (Practice speech in case the need arises!) hehe. Sadly, I was motivated not because of this reason, but because my pictures in Banaue were accidentally deleted and I just have to go back! What a reason! hehe.

The volunteers intended to visit Cambulo Elementary School in Banaue to distribute school supplies, bags and shoes to the community. The trek going there approximated 4-5 hours from the town proper of Banaue. This was on the assumption that the trekkers had had previous trekking experience. Dead meat!

We departed Fort Bonifacio Global City at around 430 am last Saturday and we were able to reach Banaue at around past noon since we had several stop-overs along the way. Upon our arrival, we immediately proceeded to the town hall for a courtesy call with the municipal mayor of Banaue. I had my picture taken together with the mayor hoping that he would find me nice and thus give me money or goods. hehe. "There's no harm in trying." Pero wala e.



Our trek to Barangay Cambulo started at around 430pm. Night trekking in Banaue is a test of faith in itself. There was no light along the way (What am I thinking about?) except those from fireflies, occasional lightnings, and flashlights by other trekkers. Actually I thought of bringing a flashlight, but decided to leave it in favor of the tripod. And now that's what you call prioritizing the necessity!

During the middle of the trek, it rained and that was expected. I was wet like Denise Richards in Wild Things because I had no rain gear. I brought 3 jackets but no rain gear. I knew it's going to rain but the thought of carrying a heavy backpack because of rain gear prevailed over me. Crazy or stupid?

Finally, we reached the school at around 930pm, exhausted, tired, consumed, etc. After a brief meeting, we proceeded to the inn to rest. For dinner, we had bacon and longganisa, courtesy of Pampanga's Best. I was so hungry that I ate like I've never eaten before. The way I ate, probably other trekkers thought that I live in the mountains.

Then snooze!

The next morning, ice cold water for shower! All I'm thinking during that time was whether to shout or not. Each drop of water was so painful to the skin but I survived! They say that a winner doesn't quit and a quitter doesn't win. And I was able to prove it. It's a war within me and I was able to conquer my fear (of ice cold water). hehe.

The students and the local officials prepared a program for us, probably as manifestation of their gratitude. Peeps, it's not you who should be grateful, but us; Because in a way, you taught us to appreciate the things that we have.



By the way, Rica Peralejo (star of TGIS and Balahibong Pusa) was there as well to shoot an episode for Umagang Kay Ganda. Who am I to refuse her?



After the donation/gift-giving, we trek to Batad before going home. I must say that the terraces of Batad were still beautiful and well-preserved unlike in Banaue. Nature at its finest right there.



But trekking Batad was not without danger; we literally had to catwalk on the narrow pathways and risk falling off to the muds.=p

This is the wall of the terraces.


Walking along further, I noticed some traditional houses as well as modern structures, which I thought doesn't mix well together. I am not against development, but I hope that the new houses that were being built in the terraces may look something like these.



Finally, we were able to reach the Rice Terraces of Batad. Stunning! Sometimes I can't help but to wonder why some of our farmers/fishermen would rather live in the city with no means of livelihood (and sometimes squat in others' land) than to live in the countryside (but at least they have stable jobs).



"Nobody said it's gonna be easy, but it's going to be worth it."

After the picture-taking (this is an essential requisite whenever I go out-of-town), we trek to Tappiya Falls.



Then, we had to trek a few hours again to reach the campsite for lunch. I was so hungry that I heard my stomach running amuck inside. We ate at 3pm.

I saw another first in my lifetime. Seeing about 1000 red hotdogs and brown longganisa in one huge plastic bag might be something of a record. That must be an entry in th Guiness.

Actually I love eating sausages, but seeing sausages in that magnitude gave me a "different" feeling. It's some kind of a massacre, mass murder or genocide. It's very scary for the male species. And another thing, Can you explain to me why sausages are shaped and colored in that manner? Was the inventor of sausages a woman? Was it intended to be reminder for men not to abuse their wives?

Can the Congress ban such kind of foods? Because aside from the fact that it promotes violence, it might breed immorality as well.



The way going home best described the entire trip- adventure! On the way going to Banaue town proper, we rode the Jeepney. For a change, I decided to rode on the rooftop to have a different perspective. I made a quick mental computation. While it's risky, the incremental satisfaction exceeds the incremental fear.

I can't help but to compare life to a jeepney ride- sometimes the road gets bumpy, the rain might fall and you might get bruised, but if you hold on to something that you believe in (like the spare tires or jeep roof) (and God in life), you'll be fine. Inspite of the presence of danger, you'll find peace and bliss and in your heart, and you won't worry even a bit because everything will be fine in the end.

If you want an ordinary ride, the satisfaction is also ordinary but if you want something extraordinary, reach for the top!



While God didn't promise a smooth sailing, He promised a safe landing.

I reached Fort Bonifacio 4am Monday... and went to work at 8am. Work is the break between vacations! Bwiset!

No comments: